Sunday, March 15, 2009

wheels

picked up a bicycle today. after days of shopping around, deliberating, and getting multiple price quotes for the same bikes, i decided to go with the local brand. perhaps you've heard of Martin 107? they make a pretty mean one-speed, but i decided to go with the hard frame mountain style. after test riding, i got them to throw in a rack and call it an even 1.6 mil. i was close to getting one of the sweet western suspension rides at some of the other shops, but they were quite costly.

saving on the bike left some room in the budge for a few mod-cons. got a helmet, a lock, and a badass little north face napsack with a hydration port. it even has a rain fly! heading out later to pick up some moisture wicking duds and malaria medication.

i'm losing my counterpart in a couple hours. it's been almost three months since i've spent more than half a day alone. just me and ol' bikey. with some luck and a good tail-wind, we'll be crossin the border sometime tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anne Parmeter said...

Aw, losing your counterpart. I hope you don't look like a cave man when I see you again.

Jeff Snyder said...

That sounds like an amazing ride!! Wish I could ride along with ya. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Ingrid said...

How fun!
I hope you fare better than I did today. I took Anne's bike over to my NW eye doctor to pick up my new glasses. As I was riding, I noticed that I was along the streetcar line. "Well, this isn't safe," I thought and moved to get off that street, catching my tire in the track as I turned and WIPED OUT. It was the first time I had been on a bike in almost a year and I drew lots of blood, and sadly, dinged up Anne's bike seat a bit. Stay away from rail lines man!
Be smarter than me please.