Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Plan A

I've been a quitter my whole life.

It occurred to me the past few days that I could not physically replace the water leaving my body. The belly remained full, while signs of dehydration persisted. Anything over 12 km per hour ensured immediate exhaustion, and I nearly passed the F out a few times. I devised several moves to combat the ass pain, but all were temporary. My favorite was the ol' cheek swap, with a high gear-stand combo every now and then. Unfortunately, I never mastered "ridesies no handsies".

The novelty of being novel wore off quickly in the heat. The locals were great, but it all ran together after a while. I'm fairly certain that the road from here to Thailand will be just as straight, flat, and littered.

To keep in the spirit of phenomenal experiences, I've decided to return to the original plan, or at least a hybrid of the two. After a few days of massage and air-con* here, I think I'll load The Machine** on a bus bound for Siem Reap. I'll spend a week or so biking around Angkor and the rest of the Wats. Afterwards, I figure I'll head to the nearest Thai beach in search of fecally contaminated game fish.

Maybe I'll drink some snake blood or something, to not fully disappoint my adventurous supporters.


*'Tis a strange land where abbreviations, like everything else, are slightly less developed. "Air-con" is the currently accepted abbrev for air conditioning. I imagine they'll evolve to "A/C" in about 5-10 years.

**So dubbed after my good friend Doug Sheldon (A.K.A. "The Doug Machine"). While maybe not the biggest and meanest looking of it's kind, I'm fairly confident that it can succeed in all situations.

1 comment:

diggity-D said...

that definitely suits Doug.